Saturday, November 20, 2010

Original vs. Remake...

I'm not a huge believer in 2nd time around when it comes to film. These days, I feel like there's so much going on in the "remake" world...what's old is new again, I suppose. According to DEN OF GEEK! (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/166239/55_movie_remakes_currently_in_the_works.html), at the end of 2008, there were 55 movie remakes in the works, this included The Karate Kid, The Taking of Pelham 123, Clash of the Titans and The Last House on the Left to name a few. Many of the films on the list I've seen either the first time around or rented the original. When I see commercials for the remake, I have to roll my eyes. Advancements in Hollywood movie making only make things more glossy and distracting. In the 1960s, 70s and 80s, because of the lack of computer technology, filmmakers had to rely on hands-on creativity and the raw ingenuity of it's craftsmen.

Have you ever seen The Last House on the Left (1972)? Even though it's gritty, it is suspenseful, scary and disturbing! And even though this film was based on a 13th century Swedish ballad "Töres dotter i Wänge" and "The Virgin Spring" Ingmar Bergman film from 1960, the '72 Last House was definitely an original.

Other films that come to my mind are The Wicker Man (1973)

and The Fog (1980)

Both films will keep you on the edge of your seat. The Wicker Man is definitely quite disturbing!

Well, don't take my word for it, bring one of the originals home for a movie night and you'll see what I mean!

No comments:

Post a Comment