Sunday, October 16, 2011

It's a Lover's Question...

I did a little private record shopping from a friend this afternoon. Picked up a handful of great soul 45s! Just now finding some time to sit and give a proper listen to the haul. One of the tunes that I was particularly excited about is called "It's A Lover's Question". This is a tune that I grew up hearing and one that I always loved! The version that I know and love is the original, by Clyde McPhatter. The version I picked up today is by Otis Redding. If you've ever given a listen to an "Oldies" channel on the radio, I'm pretty sure you would have heard "Dock of the Bay", also by Otis Redding. I remember the first time I heard proper Otis, (other than "Dock of the Bay"), I didn't believe it was the same guy! Need I say, funky, energetic, soulful and danceable! And yes, his version of "It's a Lover's Question" brings all of these attributes to the tune.

The original by Clyde McPhatter:


Version by Brook Benton:


Version by Ernestine Andrews:


...and unfortunately, the full Otis Redding version that spawned this post in the first place, is nowhere to be found on the interwebs. The best I can offer is a clip from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A814W4/ref=dm_dp_trk11?ie=UTF8&qid=1318826627&sr=1-1

No comments:

Post a Comment